A wonderful New Year is upon us. Will your days be smoke-free? This time of year is full of potential relapse triggers, so take some time today to set yourself up for success.
The secret to having stress-free fun is giving yourself permission to do only things that are relaxing and wonderful toyou! Commit to saying 'No' to anything that you don't have a heartfelt interest in doing.
Choose your activities wisely. Take some well-deserved time off. Do whatever you feel like doing. You may want to just hang out in your house alone for once. Maybe you're a 'go out and mingle with the crowds' person; here are some smoke-free things you could do:
- See a movie matinee with a friend.
- Enjoy a pedicure or manicure.
- Drive through decorated neighborhoods, stop for dessert on the way home.
- Go to dinner somewhere new.
- Visit someone special.
- Volunteer wherever your heart leads you (hospital, animal shelter, elderly neighbor, local shop).
- Buy yourself new, warm flannel sheets and sleep in!
- Go out to breakfast by yourself.
Plan ahead. Choose how you want to spend your time! Learn to say 'No' to things that pressure or obligate you needlessly. Give yourself the gift of smoke-free happiness, today and throughout the New Year!
Keep going, and KTQ!
Vikki Q CTTS-M; Master Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist